Saturday, August 30, 2025

This Week in DOD: Honoring Fallen Heroes, Coast Guard's $2.2 Billion Illegal Drug Seizure, New Aircraft Takes Flight, Possible DOD Name Change

Left
News
This Week in DOD: Honoring Fallen Heroes, Coast Guard's $2.2 Billion Illegal Drug Seizure, New Aircraft Takes Flight, Possible DOD Name Change
Aug. 29, 2025 | By Matthew Olay

This week, the Defense Department paused Aug. 26 to honor those who lost their lives to a suicide bombing attack in Kabul, Afghanistan, Aug. 26, 2021.

The attack, carried out by a bomber affiliated with ISIS-Khorasan and wearing an improvised explosive device, killed 13 U.S. service members and roughly 170 Afghan civilians at Hamid Karzai International Airport's Abbey Gate. 

"Those heroes, selfless warriors who stood guard amidst chaos … Their valor and dedication to duty will forever inspire our nation, and we extend our deepest respect and gratitude to the families whose enduring pain fuels our resolve to seek justice and truth," Chief Pentagon Spokesman Sean Parnell said during the department's Weekly Sitrep video. 

Regarding the pursuit of justice and truth, Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth said he anticipates that a Defense Department special review panel looking into the circumstances surrounding the Abbey Gate bombing should be ready to present its findings by sometime in mid-2026. 

Hegseth spoke of the investigation in the White House's Oval Office, Aug. 25, shortly after President Donald J. Trump signed a proclamation commemorating the fourth anniversary of the attack while surrounded by Gold Star family members of the victims.  

"On behalf of this beautiful group, [and] on behalf of these families on behalf of your loved ones who fought for our nation, America deserves answers as far as what happened in Afghanistan; the military needs to answer for what happened in Afghanistan," Hegseth told the group.    

In National Guard news, Trump signed an executive order this week that, in part, calls for the defense secretary to "ensure the availability of a standing National Guard quick reaction force that shall be resourced, trained and available for rapid nationwide deployment." 

Washington Mayor Muriel Bowser said during a press conference this week that carjackings throughout the district are down 87% since the National Guard arrived and supervision of policing the city was handed over to federal law enforcement.

Additionally, Bowser said, violent crime in the city is down 45% since federal oversight began, when compared to the same period in 2024. 

"Thanks to President Trump, local law enforcement and the National Guard, law and order is back and here to stay," Parnell said.  

In sea service news, Parnell announced today that one of the core members of U.S. Southern Command's Joint Interagency Task Force South, the Coast Guard, has seized $2.2 billion in illegal narcotics in 2025. 

As just one example of the Coast Guard's formidable law enforcement abilities, the agency achieved a "historic milestone" earlier this week when the Coast Guard cutter Hamilton offloaded more than 76,140 pounds of illicit narcotics at Port Everglades, Florida. 

The offload included 61,740 pounds of cocaine and approximately 14,400 pounds of marijuana, according to a Southcom press release.

"The U.S. Coast Guard in partnership with our federal, DOD and international partners are offloading 61,740 pounds of cocaine, and this represents a significant victory in the fight against transnational criminal organizations, highlighting our unwavering commitment to safeguarding the nation from illicit trafficking and its devastating impacts," Coast Guard Rear Adm. Adam Chamie, Coast Guard Southeast District commander, said via the press release. 

Chamie added that the quantity of cocaine seized during 19 interdictions in the international waters of the eastern Pacific Ocean and Caribbean Sea would be enough to fatally overdose the entire population of Florida.     

"[The Coast Guard disrupts] criminal networks, and they keep our waterways safe," Parnell said, adding that the Defense Department is very proud to support that agency's mission in safeguarding national security. 

Looking toward the sky, the Air Force achieved a key development milestone this week in the service's Collaborative Combat Aircraft program, with one of its prototype platforms — the YFQ-42A CCA — taking flight at a test location in California.

"This milestone showcases what's possible when innovative acquisition meets motivated industry," Air Force Secretary Troy Meink said via a press release. 

He added that CCA went from concept to flight "in record time."  

"This milestone marks the next step in developing semiautonomous aircraft, expanding options for commanders and advancing toward next-generation air dominance," Parnell said of the successful test flight.  

While delivering the Weekly Sitrep, Parnell also addressed what he called a "very hot topic": whether the department should be returned to its original "Department of War" namesake. 

President Trump floated the idea during a White House cabinet meeting this week. 

"[DOD] used to be called the 'Department of War,' and it had a stronger sound," Trump said, adding that, "it's good to be defensive, but we want to be offensive, too." 

Created in large part due to the influence of President George Washington, the first U.S. Congress created the War Department in September 1789. The department's name remained the same for over 150 years until it was briefly changed to the National Military Establishment with the passage of the 1947 National Security Act.  

Less than two years later — and due in no small part to the initials "NME" sounding like "enemy" — the establishment was renamed the Department of Defense.

"George Washington started the Department of War because he wanted us to win our wars, not be engaged in endless foreign entanglements," Parnell said while speaking about the potential for a departmental name change. 

"So, will we be called the 'Department of War'? All I have to say is, the best is yet to come," he said, adding, "Stay tuned." 

Right

 

ABOUT   NEWS   HELP CENTER   PRESS PRODUCTS
Facebook   X   Instagram   Youtube

Unsubscribe | Contact Us

 


This email was sent to sajanram1986.channel@blogger.com using GovDelivery Communications Cloud on behalf of: U.S. Department of Defense
1400 Defense Pentagon Washington, DC 20301-1400

Daily Wrap

Welcome to the United Nations
View in browser
Click 'Download images' to view images
UN News
Global perspective Human stories
Daily Wrap 29 August 2025
 

 

 

A firefighter works through thick smoke at the ruins of a residential building in Kyiv destroyed by a missile strike on 28 August.
Ukraine: 'Diplomatic momentum' at risk amid large-scale Russian strikes

Large-scale attacks by Russia against civilians in Ukraine could see any hopes of a lasting peace deal there rapidly fade, a senior UN official said during an emergency session of the Security Council on Friday. 

Read more
Peace and Security
An atmospheric nuclear test conducted by the United States at Enewetak Atoll, Marshall Islands, on 1 November 1952.
World News in Brief: Executions surge in Iran, nuclear test threat, Burkina Faso declares top official unwelcome

In Iran, the increase in executions carried out this year indicates that the death penalty is being used as a tool of State intimidation, the UN human rights office (OHCHR) said on Friday. 

Read more
Peace and Security
Deputy Secretary General Amina Mohammed delivers remarks to the World Summit on Teachers in Santiago, Chile.
Teachers are the 'guardians of our future', says UN deputy chief

In every corner of the world, educators are making choices that echo across generations – influencing everything from the preservation of forests to the writing of poetry, the building of bridges to the holding of peaceful elections.

Read more
Culture and Education
Firefighters work among the rubble of a residential building in Kyiv destroyed in a missile strike on 28 August.
SECURITY COUNCIL LIVE: Push for peace in Ukraine could rapidly fade if large-scale Russian attacks continue

The UN Security Council met in emergency session in New York on Friday afternoon following overnight strikes early on Thursday by Russia on Ukrainian cities including the capital, which left at least 23 dead, including four children. Assistant Secretary-General Miroslav Jenča told ambassadors that diplomatic momentum towards a possible peace deal was "at risk of rapidly fading" if large-scale attacks by Moscow continue. Follow our live meetings coverage below. 

Read more
Peace and Security
Afghan women with their families arrive from Pakistan with their belongings at the Torkham crossing point, facing a bleak future where women and girls' rights have become severely restricted.
Despite Taliban ban, over 90 per cent of Afghans support girls' right to learn

Despite the ongoing ban on girls' secondary education, more than 90 per cent of Afghan adults support girls' right to be in class, according to a new alert from the UN's gender equality agency, UN Women. 

Read more
Women
A woman searches through the burnt remains of her shelter at a displacement camp in Darfur, Sudan.
Sudan: Guterres calls for ceasefire in El Fasher, deplores 'relentless' militia attacks

The UN Secretary-General appealed on Friday for an immediate ceasefire in and around the besieged Sudanese city of El Fasher, where hundreds of thousands of civilians have been trapped for over a year.  

Read more
Peace and Security
A seven-year-old patient with severe acute malnutrition and dehydration was transferred to a field hospital in southern Gaza in April amid a looming famine in the north.
The descent into 'a massive famine' in Gaza has begun, relief agencies warn

Amid reports of increased Israeli military operations across Gaza City on Friday, UN aid agencies repeated urgent warnings of ongoing famine and a likely rise in preventable disease, linked to the dire living conditions in the war-shattered enclave.

Read more
Peace and Security
UN logo white
facebook twitter youtube soundcloud
COPYRIGHT    |    FAQ    |    FRAUD ALERT    |    PRIVACY NOTICE    |    TERMS OF USE
Unsubscribe    |    Update preferences

DOW's New Chief Information Officer Seeks to Put the Warfighter First

View Online DOW's New Chief Information Off...