Sunday, May 17, 2026

Secretary of War Pete Hegseth Travels to Fort Campbell, Kentucky

Left
U.S. Department of War: Advisory
View Online
IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Secretary of War Pete Hegseth Travels to Fort Campbell, Kentucky
May 17, 2026

Secretary of War Pete Hegseth will travel to Fort Campbell, Kentucky, tomorrow to preside over a ceremony to award Purple Hearts to 101st Airborne Division Soldiers wounded during a 2003 grenade attack in Kuwait and to administer the oath of enlistment to 190 re-enlistees.

Events will be livestreamed on War.gov, X, Facebook and YouTube.

Right

Press Advisories   Releases   Transcripts

Speeches   Publications   Contracts

 

ABOUT   NEWS   HELP CENTER   PRESS PRODUCTS
Facebook   X   Instagram   Youtube

Unsubscribe | Contact Us


This email was sent to sajanram1986.channel@blogger.com using GovDelivery Communications Cloud on behalf of: U.S. Department of War
1400 Defense Pentagon Washington, DC 20301-1400

Hegseth Welcomes Ford Carrier Strike Group Home After Record-Breaking Deployment

Left
U.S. War Department: News
Hegseth Welcomes Ford Carrier Strike Group Home After Record-Breaking Deployment
May 16, 2026 |  By Matthew Olay

Secretary of War Pete Hegseth was on hand with his wife, Jennifer, and numerous senior Navy leaders at Naval Station Norfolk, Virginia, today to welcome home sailors assigned to the USS Gerald R. Ford Carrier Strike Group after a record-setting, multi-month deployment. 

The strike group returned to Norfolk after a 326-day deployment, the longest U.S. aircraft carrier deployment since the Vietnam War, surpassing the previous post-Vietnam mark set by the Nimitz-class aircraft carrier USS Abraham Lincoln's roughly 295-day deployment in 2020.  

"Extraordinary sailors and crew of Strike Group 12: for nearly a year you have held the line for our nation. Your voyage took you to places never expected," Hegseth told the Ford's crew while greeting them over the ship's public address system.  

He then recounted how the strike group set off on a routine deployment to the European theater in June 2025, only to be diverted to the Caribbean Sea shortly thereafter in support of the narco-terrorist drug interdiction mission Operation Southern Spear, as well as the operation that led to the Jan. 3 capture of Venezuelan leader Nicolás Maduro. 

Hegseth then pointed out that, following operations around Central and South America, the Ford Strike Group deployed to the Middle East in support of Operation Epic Fury, where the group was joined by the Arleigh Burke-class destroyers USS Bainbridge and USS Mahan — both of which also returned to Norfolk as part of the Ford's record-setting deployment, and both of which Hegseth also welcomed home this morning.  

"You showed resiliency; you fought through all the way to finish the latter part of your mission in Operation Epic Fury … where you and others [sent] an unmistakable message to the world: no one can match the USS Ford, and no one can match the United States military," Hegseth told the crew.  

Hegseth then surprised the Ford crew — and the crews of USS Bainbridge and USS Mahan shortly thereafter — by announcing that Carrier Strike Group 12 had been awarded the Presidential Unit Citation for the group's actions during their deployment.  

Originally called the Distinguished Unit Citation, the PUC is the highest collective award a military unit can receive in the U.S. Armed Forces. It is awarded to units for extraordinary heroism in combat against an armed enemy, recognizing gallantry of a degree that would typically merit an individual Distinguished Service Cross or Navy/Air Force Cross. 

"We do not hand this award out simply for performing your duties. It is earned through extraordinary heroism. It signifies that, in the crucible of combat during Operation Epic Fury, Strike Group 12 unleashed lethality and violence of action that [neutralized enemies] and secured a mission of vital national importance," Hegseth told Ford's crew.  

"To wear this ribbon is to tell the world that everyone in this formation fought with an indomitable spirit. You operate with grit and defiance that sets you apart. By your conduct, you have secured a current place in the hallowed lineage of our naval history," Hegseth said.   

Throughout the morning, the appreciation that Hegseth and his delegation showed for the returning strike group sailors was complemented by some of those young men and women's own reflections on their past 11 months at sea. 

"[The deployment] was an interesting experience; a very unique experience that I don't think I would really be able to live again. So, I'm very honored to [have been] on this deployment," said Petty Officer 3rd Class Connor Mosser, of USS Bainbridge's combat systems department. 

"I'm proud of how much that I've grown. It was an honor to serve on this deployment. I got to grow as an individual, and I got to serve my country," said Fireman Apprentice Kayla Jones, of Bainbridge's engineering department. 

"As much as I've given out, the Navy has put right back into me … I've learned a lot, and I've enjoyed a lot of my experiences," she added. 

Along with the praise and appreciation shown toward the men and women in uniform who had just returned home, Hegseth also made a point of thanking and recognizing thousands of family members, including 78 new babies — 56 born to Ford families, and 11 who were born to both the Bainbridge and Mahan families, each, during the 11-month deployment —  many of whom arrived pier-side today to welcome their sailors back from nearly a year at sea. 

"To the families gathered on the pier: … You stood the line alongside your crew as well; you held the line at home. … [To] the heroes of our national defense, who stand the watch, today your long watch is officially over," Hegseth told the crew, just prior to liberty call being announced, and thousands of Ford sailors being released to see their loved ones awaiting them on the pier.  

Following each visit to the Ford, the Bainbridge and the Mahan today, Hegseth rounded out each speech with the same, simple greeting that many of the returning CSG-12 sailors said they appreciated hearing. 

"Welcome home," the secretary said.

Right

 

ABOUT   NEWS   HELP CENTER   PRESS PRODUCTS
Facebook   X   Instagram   Youtube

Unsubscribe | Contact Us

 


This email was sent to sajanram1986.channel@blogger.com using GovDelivery Communications Cloud on behalf of: U.S. Department of War
1400 Defense Pentagon Washington, DC 20301-1400

Saturday, May 16, 2026

Pentagon Marks Armed Forces Day With Special Flag

Left
U.S. War Department: News
Pentagon Marks Armed Forces Day With Special Flag
May 16, 2026 |  By David Vergun

The War Department celebrated Armed Forces Day with a newly unveiled America 250 version of the Betsy Ross flag, unfurled over the outside of the Pentagon today at sunrise.

At 20 feet long and 28 feet wide, the flag has 13 alternating red and white strips and 13 stars arranged in a circle with "250" in the center. The flag will also be flown to celebrate Memorial Day, May 25; Flag Day, June 14; Independence Day, July 4; Patriot Day, Sept. 11; Constitution Day, Sept. 17 and Veterans Day, Nov. 11.

Betsy Ross was a professional upholsterer in Philadelphia from the early 1770s until she retired in 1827. While there is no historical evidence, many people believe she designed the American flag.  

Born Elizabeth Griscom on Jan. 1, 1752, in Gloucester City, New Jersey, Ross was raised by a Quaker family in Philadelphia. 

She apprenticed under John Webster, becoming a seamstress and upholsterer.  

In 1773, she married John Ross, which got her expelled from the Quaker community, since marrying a non-Quaker was taboo. Together, they ran an upholstery shop in Philadelphia and joined the Christ Church. John died in 1776, and Ross became a widow at 24. She continued to run the shop, and according to legend, Gen. George Washington, commander of the Continental Army, along with two other Founding Fathers, visited her in the summer of 1776. Washington showed her a sketch of a flag featuring 13 stars and stripes, and Ross advised some minor changes. Many flags at the time featured six-pointed stars; Ross proposed five. 

In 1777, Ross married Joseph Ashburn, a merchant sailor, and they had two daughters. However, Ashburn was captured by the British and charged with treason. He died in a British prison in 1782. John Claypoole, a fellow patriot who had been imprisoned with Ashburn, visited Ross to tell her that he had died.   

Claypoole and Ross became friends, fell in love, got married and had five daughters. They were married for 34 years before Claypoole died in 1817. Ross retired at 76 and died Jan. 30, 1836; she was 84. 

The Betsy Ross flag legend was started by her grandson, William Canby, in 1870, according to womenshistory.org. Canby presented a paper to the Historical Society of Pennsylvania recalling the story his grandmother told him. Although there are no historical records, what is known is that during and after the Revolutionary War, Ross made a variety of military flags over the course of 50 years.

Right

 

ABOUT   NEWS   HELP CENTER   PRESS PRODUCTS
Facebook   X   Instagram   Youtube

Unsubscribe | Contact Us

 


This email was sent to sajanram1986.channel@blogger.com using GovDelivery Communications Cloud on behalf of: U.S. Department of War
1400 Defense Pentagon Washington, DC 20301-1400

Today in DOW: May 18, 2026

Left
Department of War: Today in DOW
Today in DOW: May 18, 2026
Open Press Events
Secretary of War
Secretary of War

The secretary has no public or media events on his schedule.   Read More >

Deputy Secretary of War
Deputy Secretary of War

The deputy secretary has no public or media events on his schedule.   Read More >

Chairman, Joint Chiefs of Staff
Chairman, Joint Chiefs of Staff

The chairman has no public or media events on his schedule.   Read More >

Vice Chairman, Joint Chiefs of Staff
Vice Chairman, Joint Chiefs of Staff

The vice chairman has no public or media events on his schedule.   Read More >

Additional Open Press Events

 

Contacts

Additions and corrections for Today in DOW are invited and should be directed to the press desk by calling +1 (703) 697-5131 or +1 (703) 697-5132. For additional media information click here.

Public Inquiries

Contact us for more information, if you have questions or for technical support.

Media Questions

News media representatives with questions for the Department of War may reach our press desk by calling +1 (703) 697-5131.

Duty Officer

A public affairs duty officer is available 24 hours a day through +1 (703) 697-5131.

Right

Press Advisories   Releases   Transcripts

Speeches   Publications   Contracts

 

ABOUT   NEWS   HELP CENTER   PRESS PRODUCTS
Facebook   X   Instagram   Youtube

Unsubscribe | Contact Us


This email was sent to sajanram1986.channel@blogger.com using GovDelivery Communications Cloud on behalf of: U.S. Department of War
1400 Defense Pentagon Washington, DC 20301-1400